ADDICTION DOESN'T HAVE POWER OVER ME!


 

I know what it feels like to be chained. To wake up and feel like your body isn’t yours, like the cravings are louder than your own thoughts. I’ve been there. Drugs had me, or so I thought. But here’s the truth I’m living now: the addiction doesn’t have power over me anymore. I put my trust in God. 

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13 


When you’re in it, the lie is that you’re alone. That nobody understands, that you’ve gone too far, that freedom is for other people. I believed that lie for a long time. But God doesn’t write people off. He comes into the mess, into the shame, and He calls you by name. He didn’t come for the perfect. He came for the broken.  

“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” – Psalm 34:18  


Breaking free didn’t happen because I was strong enough. It happened because He is faithful. Every day I chose to pray instead of pick up. Every night I chose His word instead of the noise. It wasn’t easy. Some days it was one hour at a time, one prayer at a time. But He met me in every single one of those moments. That’s what grace does – it carries you when you can’t carry yourself.  

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” – 2 Corinthians 12:9 


Now I stand here and I tell you this: you are not your past. You are not your mistake. You are not the label they put on you. You are a child of God, and He has a plan for your life that is bigger than the addiction trying to hold you down. The enemy wants you to believe it’s over. But God says it’s not over until He says it’s over.  

“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” – John 8:36


I share this because if God could pull me out, He can pull you out too. No case is too hard, no night too dark, no addiction too strong. The power of the cross is greater. The blood of Jesus speaks louder than any craving. So today, I’m telling you: rise. Take one step. Talk to God. Ask for help. Don’t quit before the miracle.  

“No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper.” – Isaiah 54:17 


The addiction doesn’t have power over me anymore. Not because I’m perfect, but because He is. And if He did it for me, He’ll do it for you. Hold on. Fight back. Keep your eyes on Jesus. We’re in this together, and we’re coming out free.I put my trust in God.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9  




REFLECTING QUESTIONS :

1. What lie has addiction been telling you about who you are?

2. Do you see yourself as defined by your past, or as a child of God? What changes if you choose the second one?

3. What’s one small choice you can make today instead of giving in?



About Lesley Lerasa

I’m Lesley, and I share my story so others know freedom is possible. I speak in rural schools across several provinces in South Africa about drug awareness, self-worth, and putting your trust in God. I’m not perfect, but I’m free - and I believe you can be too.  


Get in Touch  

If this message helped you, or you want me to speak at your school, church, or youth group:

📧 Email: lesleysiya038@gmail.com  

📞 WhatsApp/Call: +27 69 263 4086  


Feel free to reach out for prayer, speaking bookings, or just to talk. You’re not alone.


---

Comments

  1. Anonymous5/10/2026

    Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May God continue blessing you Lesley

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/10/2026

    Jesus Christ is Lord over everything, he is faithful, compassionate, his love never ending. Glory to the all mighty God

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/12/2026

    Amennnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/13/2026

    My brother, I know what you are talking about I was also in addition but JESUS saved me.
    Amen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment